ABERLADY PARISH CHURCH

Aberlady, in a range of spellings, features in Church history from the 12th Century. A 1275 letter of Pope Gregory X calls it Aberlefdi. The earliest place of worship in Aberlady might have been a Culdee chapel, ruins of which were discovered in the north-west corner of the old churchyard when the Luffness burial ground was established at the time of the Reformation.

Of the church built in the 15th cent. few parts survive, mainly the tower. The church was extended and re-furbished in 1773. This 1773 Church lasted over a hundred years and the last Communion Service in the "square Kirk" was held on the 18th April 1886 before a major restoration. On the 2nd June 1887 it is recorded in the Kirk Session Notes "The New Church, built by the Earl of Wemyss, this day opened for worship."

In the mid-1980s the parishes of Aberlady and Gullane were merged and the Manse is now in Gullane. In Aberlady, the Church is complemented by the Kirk Stables in main street, next to the old Aberlady Manse. These rooms are a village facility, used for events for which the Community Hall is too big. The Sunday School meets there weekly and other events include an annual plant and produce sale in May and a summer barbecue in the grounds overlooking Aberlady Bay.

At the western entrance to the village the historic church of Aberlady is very easy to find. It is open every day from April to October and at other times by arrangement with the Minister or Church Officer. The congregation is part of the national church, The Church of Scotland, which is in the Presbyterian tradition. The congregation sees itself very much as a church for all in the village and wider local community and is very ecumenical in outlook. Everyone is very welcome to attend the weekly worship services which are held at 11:15am each Sunday. If you come along for the first time do please introduce yourself to the folk at the door before or after the service and if you wish to be associated with the congregation just let us know.

    The notice boards at the entrance to the church drive give information on services and special occasions.

    For those who would wish to worship according to other traditions there are congregations of the Scottish Episcopal Church
    and the Roman Catholic Church in both North Berwick and Haddington.

    Aberlady and Gullane Parish Churches have a web site for more information and details of
    church contacts and events:

    www.aberlady-gullaneparishchurches.org.uk

 

Return to Home Page    Return to Contents