About the village
Aberlady is on the East Lothian coast about 17 miles east of Edinburgh. It has a population of roughly 1200.
Aberlady has a village shop, a Post Office and a sewing/craft shop, while just outside the village to the west is the farm shop and cafe.
The village is visited by mobile shops for fish (two a week), and fruit and vegetables as well as a mobile bank and an ice cream van.
You can get cash at the Post Office and there is a cash machine inside the village store. Outside opening hours, the nearest cash machines are at Gullane and Longniddry. For details, see Shops.
Food and accommodation
There is a pub, the Old Aberlady Inn; a hotel/restaurant, Ducks; and an Indian restaurant and takeaway. Just to the west of the village are the cafe at the farm shop, and the hotel and restaurant at Craigielaw Golf Club.
Accommodation is also provided by B&Bs, self-catering holiday flats, and the campsite at the old railway station.
The main bus service is the 124/X24 from Edinburgh Haymarket and Waverley to North Berwick. It runs – very roughly – every half hour on weekdays, hourly at weekends.
Coaches service 111 runs from Haddington via Ballencrieff, Drem and Gullane to Longniddry, Seton Sands, Prestonpans, Musselburgh and Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
Edinburgh and North Berwick can be reached by train from Longniddry or Drem.
The nearest doctor is Gullane Medical Practice, 01620 842171.
Accident and emergency for children is at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Sciennes Road, Edinburgh EH9 1LF – 0131 536 0000
A&E for adults is at the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh EH16 4SA – 0131 536 1000
There are dentists in Gullane and Longniddry and an optician in Gullane.
Aberlady Bay nature reserve
Aberlady Bay LNR was Britain’s first local nature reserve, established in 1952. It is also part of a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) because of its birds, plants and geology.
There are beautiful walks across the reserve – which is on the east side of the bay – out to the beach or along the coast to Gullane. These walks usually start at the small car park to the east of the village, crossing the famous ‘footbridge to enchantment’.
Scottish Ornithologists’ Club
Aberlady is home to the headquarters of the Scottish Ornithologists’ Club, an oak-framed building known as Waterston House. The SOC HQ offers a wealth of birdwatching resources and regular exhbitions of wildlife art. It is open daily from 10am to 4pm and entry is free to all.
Aberlady has two golf courses – Kilspindie, established in 1867, and the recently built Craigielaw – and just a stone’s throw from the village to the east is Luffness New, designed by Tom Morris in 1894.
At Gullane, two miles east, are the three courses of Gullane Golf Club, home to the Scottish Open in 2015, and the championship course at Muirfield, the venue for the Open in 2013.
Find out more about community facilities such as doctor, hospitals, schools, libraries and the two village halls (the Community Hall and the Kirk Stables).