Aberlady Bay

Aberlady Bay was Britain’s first local nature reserve (LNR), established in 1952. It is also part of the Firth of Forth site of special scientific interest (SSSI) because of its birds, plants and geology.

There are beautiful walks across the nature reserve on the east side of the bay, beginning by crossing the famous ‘footbridge to enchantment’, so named by local author Nigel Tranter.

Aberlady Bay Nature Reserve Bridge. Photograph: Fredo Kauffmann – Blue Ciel Photography

Countryside Rangers

Aberlady Bay is looked after by East Lothian Council’s Countryside Rangers. Find out more about the nature reserve on the council’s website.

www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/210569/countryside_and_wildlife/12080/countryside_sites/2

A group of volunteers helps local ranger John Harrison to look after the site. See…

www.edubuzz.org/aberladybay/

Geology

The Landforms website has a description of how the movement of sand is constantly changing the shape of Aberlady Bay, as well as a good explanation of tidal salt marsh.

www.landforms.eu/Lothian/Aberlady%20Bay.htm

Fossils

A variety of fossils can be fund on the shore alongside Kilspindie Golf Course. Please note that you must not remove fossils unless they are already loose.

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2007/10/31/aberlady/